Tuesday, February 16, 2010

how i lost a subway sandwich

Ok so, its been like, FOREVER since i've done anything on here. i know, i know. please forgive me. I am going to try and take time to do some more, i promise. i've found i kinda like the whole writing out how i feel thing. right now my social work roommate is clapping her hands and saying that everyone would also benefit from counseling as well... anyway i digress.
i have one awesome story. this one hasnt really been named yet, but i think i'll start calling it the 'when i lot my subway sandwich' story. that sounds....lame, but memorable.

This last weekend was winter break for my tiny university so a few of my nursing major friends and i decide to go to a friends house. good times are had by all. but thats not teh point of this story.

driving home, we hit a small snow storm and have a few near misses with truckers who think they are auditioning for that one ice truckers show. all in all the drive is nerve racking but fun. (how often do you get to drive a giant four wheel drive suburban the size of a bus?) however, still not the point of this story.

on our way home we stop at subway. i purchase a tasty foot long italian BMT on monterrey cheddar bread. we sit down and enjoy our dinner, then get back on the road. i saved half of my sandwich so i can further enjoy it for dinner the next day. my companions and i (finally) get home and i put my sandwich in the fridge to keep it subway fresh.
That next day turns out to be kinda long and a little stressful. all day i look forward to getting home and devouring my delightful italian BMT.
I dont get home until after 9 that night. i shed my winter clothes, put my book bag down, get comfy for the night, open my refrigerator in anticipation AND......my sandwich is gone. I look on every shelf, in every drawer. no sandwich. i close the door, wait a couple seconds, take a breath, and open the door again, still no sandwich.
I ask my roommates 'did you see a sandwich is the fridge today?' none of them had any idea what i was talking about. however one started going on and on about how things seemed to be moved around and her cheese was put on the wrong shelf. to be honest i quit listening to her and tuned her out after that.
Alright, so i know sandwiches dont just get up and walk away. I think about it awhile, retrace my steps from the night before. I know for a fact i put it the fridge before i unpacked my suitcase. i take a look in the freezer and pantry just to be sure. nope, no sandwich. ok if didnt put this god forsaken sub in the fridge then it must be somewhere else no rotting in my apartment. so i look, and the damn thing is no where to be found.
I finally give up my search. i go to throw away some random peice of trash i found and there in my kitchen trash is the wrapper that my lovely italian BMT subway sandwich came in. I dont remember eating the tasty sub so either my roommates lied and ate my sandwich or i ate it while sleep walking. most people would say the former is proly the more logical explanation. but, if you know me, you know nothing in my life is ever that easy.
see, as a kid i would be found in all kinds of places and have no memory of how i got there. (wake up on teh couch or walking outside in the yard kind of stuff) i grew out of it eventually. since i was sixteen i've only (that i know of) gone sleep walking a couple times. once in high school and once my freshmen year of college.
then why do i think i ate my wonderful(now cursed) sandwich in my sleep? well, 1. my roommates had no idea what i was talking about when i asked them about the sandwich, 2. the contents of the fridge had indeed been rearranged and no one know anything about it, 3. the wrapper was in the trash and not surrounding the the sandwich, and 4. my history of night time wondering.
I dont know if it was really me, but the evidence seems to point to unconscious night time snacking. also its better than the idea that there is a hidden sandwich rotting somewhere in my apartment.

so that is the story of me (proly) stealing my own sandwich.

-erl

No comments:

Post a Comment